Followers

Sunday, July 25, 2010

You and me, and me and you.

We stumbled through a small part of middle school together. You'd just shown up in Alaska and I was the awkward kid nobody wanted to be friends with. We were friends immediately in my mind, although in yours I imagine that I was just an annoying kid you tolerated. Plus, I let you copy my homework in social studies. For a couple months, that was us. The two kids in social studies who couldn't stay quiet and were polar opposites. But we had similar interests. And you didn't know it then, and I only knew it subconsciously, but we were going to be long time friends.
You left for middle school somewhere else. We didn't talk for months until high school, when I saw you and you recognized me instantly - and welcomed me back like an old friend. You even invited me to your house for lunch that day with everybody else. You didn't exclude me. You made me feel like somewhere, I belonged. Even when nobody liked me, you stuck around, sometimes whether you wanted to or not. I wonder if you felt like you had to protect me from the dangers of the world. People were so vicious. There was a time we fell apart as friends because of Tessa. She didn't want you talking to me. Between me and her, what happened, happened. But afterwards I came searching for you, I forgave you for ignoring me, and once again, we welcomed each other back like old friends. We were younger than we are now but we were mature enough to do it then. And we battled through high school together. You always forgave me when I became too obnoxious because of my retarded crush on you, and I always forgave you when you got frustrated with me.
It's what we've always done. Forgiven each other and welcomed each other back like old friends. You've helped me through so much of life and I'd like to think that I was important in your life, too. And the past year we've been the closest we've ever been and now we're falling apart. Six years after that first day we met, we're falling apart because of miscommunication.
Is it really so hard to believe that I was legitimetally teasing you?! Do you not care enough about me to give me the benefit of the doubt? Do you really have THAT much of a problem with me, or are you being a drama queen like usual?!?! Seriously, I've always hoped better of you... And it hurts, more than anything, that you're doing this to me. It hurts more than Adam leaving me. It hurts more than Sable dying. It hurts that my best friend is shutting me out like this. Please, stop it. Forgive me and welcome me back like the old friend I am and always will be. I'll forgive you, too. Because you've got stuff to apologize for, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment